Thoughts as door openers. Rhetoric played a central role for the ancient Greeks. In my lectures (mainly in English, but also in German and Italian) I give an insight into my research, which consists mainly of textual studies combined with field research (where possible). My aim is to stimulate critical thinking in order to enter into fruitful dialogue and debate.
- 04/2023: Bringing Women Back into History: Female Agency in a Male-dominated Religious Context, École pratique des hautes études (EPHE) Paris, workshop “Women on the Roof of the World: Identity, Ethnicity, and Modernity”.
- 10/2022: Mountain narratives and human-nature relations in Sikkimese Himalayas, Second Global Mountain Sustainability Forum (GMS), organized by GLOMOS and the Center for Advanced Studies of Eurac Research.
- 07/2022: Authoress, messenger, nun: Nyima Chodron and her role(s) within the Barawa Kagyupa, Prague, Sixteenth Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies (IATS).
- 07/2021: Onorate, maliziose, seducenti: la tradizione Barawa (‘Ba’ ra ba bKa' brgyud pa) e la rappresentazione delle donne, Sapienza Università di Roma, Convegno AISTHiM “Traditions, Translations and Transitions in the Cultural History of Tibet, the Himalayas and Mongolia”.
- 04/2021: Buddhism and Gender Perspectives in Sikkim: Historical and Contemporary Approaches, online talk for the Tibetan Graduate Studies Seminar, Oxford University.
- 02/2021: Religious Challenges among Buddhist communities in Sikkim (North India), Utrecht University, online conference “Religious Transformation and Gender: Contestations in/and the Study of Relgion, Gender and Sexuality”.
- 08/2020: Remarkable Buddhist Nuns in Sikkim, Heidelberg Universität, online workshop “Female Religious Leaders and Dynamics of Female Agency in Religious Settings in South Asia”.
- 01/2020: Gelehrter, Gründervater, Grenzgänger: Barawa Gyeltsen Pelzang (1310-91) im Kontext seiner Zeit, Universität Wien, Guest lecture at the Department of South Asian, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies.
- 07/2019: Provider and Destroyer of Life: Rituals, Myths, and Significance of Water in Sikkim, a Tibetan influenced Indian state in the Himalaya, Paris, Fifteenth Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies (IATS).
- 06/2019: Cultural and religious significance of hot springs in Buddhist influenced societies in the Himalayas, University College Cork, conference “Religion, Water, Climate: Changing Cultures and Landscapes”, International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture (ISSRNC).
- 09/2017: La tradizione ‘Ba’ ra ba, un ramo dei bKa' brgyud pa, Procida, Italy, conference on the occasion of the foundation of an Italian society for Tibetan, Himalayan and Mongolian Studies (AISTHiM)
- 07/2017: Tibetan troops fighting the “enemy of Buddhist doctrine” (bstan dgra): The ‘Ba’ ra ba master Rig ‘dzin chos dbyings rdo rje (1772-1838) depicts the invasion of the Gorkhas, Paris, Symposium “The Ganden Phodrang Army and Buddhism”.
- 05/2017: Entstehung und Verbreitung einer vergessenen Lehrtradition: die Barawa Kagyü, Bonn, Germany, Lecture at the 67th open lecture event of the German-Tibetan society (Deutsch-Tibetischen Kulturgesellschaft e.V).
- 04/2017: Sacred landscape and the creation of a pilgrimage site: The Gurudongmar Lake in North Sikkim (India), The New School, New York, conference “Mountains and Sacred Landscapes”, International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture (ISSRNC).
- 03/2017: Taming of Demons and Animal Sacrifice: The Synthesis of Buddhism and Shamanistic Traditions in Northern Sikkim, LMU Munich, workshop “Evolving through Context: The Transformation of Buddhism(s) and their Legitimation(s)”, Doctoral Program in Buddhist Studies.
- 11/2012: Die buddhistische Lehrtradition der Barawa Kagyü in Sikkim – von den Anfängen bis heute, Bonn, Germany, Lecture at the 58th open lecture event of the German-Tibetan society (Deutsch-Tibetischen Kulturgesellschaft e.V).
- 06/2012: Kailash – der heilige Berg Tibets, Residenzschloss Oettingen, Germany, Lecture in course of the supporting programme of the exhibition Faces of Buddha (’Gesichter des Buddha’).
- 10/2011: Der Kult des Padmasambhava im tibetischen Kulturraum, Residenzschloss Oettingen, Germany, Lecture in course of the supporting programme of the exhibition Faces of Buddha (’Gesichter des Buddha’).